Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Subway

I was down in the 15th St-Prospect Park subway terminal seated on a bench, waiting for the F-train, pretty much pissed off that I had to go in to the city on my day off for a last-minute breakfast with the Regional Directors of my company. As it always does on weekends, the F-train was taking its sweet ass time getting there.

A 20-ish girl walked up to sit next to me. She was heavy-set, African American and had a little space between her two front teeth when she smiled. As she sat, she accidentally kicked my shoe.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry." Her voice was sweet and melodic.

"No problem," I responded.

"I'm sorry," she repeated.

"It's really no problem." We smiled at each other.

We ended up next to each other on the train as well. Standing next to her was a 30-ish guy carrying lacrosse equipment. She smiled and asked him if he played soccer.

"No, lacrosse." he smiled. "A lot less running around." She laughed. Obviously she was no sports expert.

I should pause here to mention that small talk is uncommon on the subway. Everybody usually kind of stares straight ahead or buries their face in a book or their phone. She apparently is unaware or doesn't care about that.

They both shared a laugh over something I missed. At the next stop as she was getting off, she looked at me, smiled, and said "Have a nice day!"

"You like to spread positivity, don't you?" I asked.

"I try."

"I like that."

"Thank you. Have a great day."

I'm generally a pretty positive person, but I think lately I've kind of let myself slip into negativity. I've been working and commuting a tremendous amount of hours, haven't had much time for the gym, the stage or even a social life, and it's probably starting to show. But that girl made me feel a lot better. And guess what--the breakfast I had with my RDs went fantastic. My schedule should start freeing up soon.

I'm not religious at all, but I do think the Universe gives you what you manifest. And, every once in a while, it'll send you a message. I don't think meeting that girl was an accident. I think that was just life telling me, "Hey, you got this. Keep your chin up."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like crack for bloggers, and I'm a big-time addict. Please leave one here!

(You do not need to sign in to leave a comment. You can leave a comment using only your name OR you can be completely anonymous by choosing the appropriate "identity" below)

Google